" ITREALMS: 90% of Africans still lacking Internet access – IWS

Friday, December 23, 2016

90% of Africans still lacking Internet access – IWS

... As Kamaleon launches Community Tablet
The Internet World Statistics (IWS) has declared that despite the growth of Information Technology (IT) boom on the continent of Africa, only 9.3 per cent have access to the Internet, thereby leaving some 90.7 per cent without Internet access, reports ITRealms.

Buttressing the need to increase access, Dayn Amade of Mozambican technology start-up company Kamaleon, declared that Internet access is still vital to providing wider access to education and health awareness in rural communities, especially in Mozambique.

“A few years ago anyone who could not read and write was considered illiterate, but today this concept goes further, encompassing people who do not know how to use information and communication technologies. Health organizations and schools in Africa often face a unique set of obstacles, including a lack of access to much-needed health education and counselling platforms. The Community Tablet was created to help solve these problems”, Amade said.    
Today’s digital world, Amade said, bringing Internet access to rural communities is a tremendous step in the right direction of social development and education.

Kamaleon, Amade also said, has developed an innovative and engaging way of promoting digital literacy through a shared platform called the “Community Tablet”. Stressing that Community Tablet is a solar powered mobile computer with touch screen displays and virtual keyboards built in on a trailer to provide Internet access to remote areas.

In addition, Amade said, in order to facilitate interaction with the virtual world, Kamaleon also offers training on how to use the Internet and its features to members of the community and the local workforce.

ITRealms recalls that launched in November 2016 in Mozambique, the Community Tablet aims at promoting digital inclusion and a knowledge based society in Africa.

Amade further said that beginning in Mozambique with an astounding 24 million people with no Internet connection, the Community Tablet will be used to support campaigns on various health and education initiatives in partnership with governmental and private organisations.
“Spreading up-to-date messages and interactive lessons that showcase symptoms,  prevention and treatment options – replacing the need for leaflet distributions to convey life-saving information. Kamaleon is on a mission to close the digital divide and empower more people in Africa to engage in the digital economy and its educational benefits,” Amade said.

Assuring, “I believe technology and digital literacy can contribute to greater effectiveness of civic education campaigns in various communities.”

ITREALMS ... everything news digitally!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

they need or must succeed to sustain needs of the family.
carding forum

Featured post @ITREALMS

NDSF@15: Ojo, Adebayo, Nnamani, Ekuwem, Nwannenna, Odusote join DigitalSENSE Hall of Fame - ITREALMS

ITREALMS ... making leadership SENSE with digital news! The Executive Director, Media Rights Agenda, Mr. Edetaen Ojo alongside the chairman,...