Monday, May 11, 2020

COVID-19: Wike explains why 2 hotels were demolished - ITREALMS

The Rivers State Governor, Nyesom Wike, has explained why he personally led the demolition of two hotels in Eleme Local Government Area of the state for breach of lockdown orders and “fatal attack” on a task force officer, reports ITREALMS.

Wike in a Sunday night broadcast in response to the outcry over the demolition, said he acted within the law.

This is coming as the state placed N5 million bounty on the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) Youth Leader in the area for alleged complicity in the issue.


Part of his broadcast states:

“Apart from using the facility (hotel) to jeopardize lives of citizens in violation of the extant law, the owner audaciously unleashed thugs led by Eleme LG Youth Leader of PDP and inflicted severe injuries on our task-force members who went to enforce the law against continued operation of the hotel.

“As we speak, nobody knows the fate of most of the victims of that brazen and deadly attack given the severity of head injuries they sustained.

“And so, we’ve done no wrong as all our actions were taken in good faith and justified by, under and within the purview of the Executive Orders, which have neither been challenged nor set aside by any competent court of law.”

“While we welcome genuine criticisms towards strengthening our intervention measures, no use joining issues with uninformed critics and social media legal practitioners, who, blinded and prodded by sheer politics, bias and hatred, have opted to demonize and paint our lawful and responsible actions in bad light.

“Granted that we may not have totally achieved our targets, but we are convinced that, so far, the lockdown and the other measures have impacted greatly in containing and preventing the onslaught of the pandemic on Rivers,” he said.

Also, Wike declared a two-day (Monday and Tuesday) relaxation of the lockdown in Port Harcourt and Obio Akpor LGAs to allow residents restock food and medicines.

He said the temporary measure was in response to propositions by well-meaning citizens of the state and cautious review of the situation to enable residents to have some fresh air.

He said, “I announce temporary lifting of the total lockdown on Obio/Akpor and Port Harcourt LGAs for two days only, with effect from Tuesday 12th May 2020.

“All shops, supermarkets, and malls can open to the public for Tuesday and Wednesday. Similarly, all hospitals and banks can also open and provide full services to the public.

“While Oil and gas companies are required to submit list of staff on essential duties to Government, note that there is no ban on the lifting of petroleum products from depots and other receptacles.

“Total lockdown on Obio/Akpor and Port Harcourt Local Government Areas will be reinstated Thursday 14th May 2020 and remain until further notice.”

Wike said all other established restrictions under the executive orders on social distancing are still in force, including, “compulsory wearing of face mask or scarfs in vehicles and public places, closure of all entry routes into the state.”

He emphasised that “so far, all our measures and actions against Covid-19 are not arbitrary but fully prescribed, guided and backed by the ordinary laws of our State, especially Executive Order numbers 1 to 6, which apply equally to all persons.”

*Uboshe Uboshe with additional report by Qed.ng

*JOIN our alert's group | Share stories with us | Advert placement: WhatsApp | SMS: +2348033592762 *Twitter: @ITREALMS *Email: itrealms.dsa@gmail.com*

No comments: